Friday 10 November 2017

You Rock My World: A Mixed Media Rock And Roll Explosion

So, how's that for a title eh? Well it is not very far off though. The number of media I used on this card is quite astounding: Watercolour, Cosmic Shimmer Sprays, Tonic Studios Embellishment Mousses, Brushos, Distress Inks, Embossing Powders and probably some more I can't remember:-) Lots and lots of layers to create a one of a kind card for my husband of 10 years.

So here's how I did it:
Knowing I was going to use many different wet mediums I started with an A3 piece of cold pressed water colour paper. I had sprayed it with Cosmic Shimmer Mist and watered down Tonic Studios Embellishment Mousses to create a shimmery water resistent base. I then cut two A5 sized pieces out of the middle and washi taped them down to my glass craft mat.
And then I took out my little Oxo tin of Brushos...


Brushos are small tubs of pigment powder. First I wet the page using a spray bottle of water and then I sprinkeld the brushos on. I have pierced a few holes in the lids of mine so I can sprinkle them rather than tip them onto my page. A little goes a long way. After I put them on I sprayed some more water on thill the colours started to flow.
I made sure I got some very vibrant and full colour on my pages before I took out a heat gun to dry it. To make sure it fully dried I then put my craft mat with paper taped to it in my trusty cardboard box that I usually use for spraying in:-)
After they had dried you could see the Cosmic Shimmer and embellishment Mousse splatters coming through the brusho layer. Really cool!


Next up I put some "hidden symbols" in using stamps, clear embossing powders and a heat tool. I used a Marianne Designs stamp of some Amsterdam Canal Houses (where we met and got married) and my recent purchase: a stamp of Clevedon Pier (close to where we now live).
When the heat embossing was set I broke ot my Distress Inks in Pine Needle, Chipped Sapphire and finally Black Soot to start covering the bright colours and create a Galaxy look. If you look closely you can see the heat embossed images coming through:-)
 I used the other piece to do some die cutting. I cut a bunch of Tonic Studios Dies: the Postal Type Lower Case Alphabet, the Rococo Music Electrical GuitarRococo Petite Musical Note and the Rococo Music Perfect Harmony. I also die cut the Stampin' Up! Swirly Scribbles Die and a small X-Cut Geometric Heart







For some of them I used black glitter card to make them stand out.
I matted the numbers on some black glitter card as well so they would stand out against the colourful background better.
And then it was a matter of assembling all the pieces. I laid out several arrangements and took pictures on my smartphone of each one so I could see whoch I liked and then start glueing everything on using the picture as a guide.

This was the present I had gotten him: An aluminium guitar pick that says: "10 years later I still pick you" S ❤ C  26-10-07. I found the pick on Etsy: Savage Moons, and the jewellery box at a charity shop and they gave it to me for free:-)



My husband was really happy with his gift and his card. And that makes me happy:-)

I'll be posting again soon with my first Christmas card. Have you started on your christmas cards yet?

x

Sonja

No comments:

Post a Comment